Imperial Defenders

A place for Imperial Defenders and friends to come together
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Post subject: SWTOR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:03 pm 

I'll be splitting my game time (greatly reduced for a while) between WoW and SWTOR.

First impressions of SWTOR (Been playing off and on since the 14th).
Server: Death Reaper (PVP)
Imperial (Sith Inquisitor) but did create an Empire character and several alts to see the cut scenes.

Overall impression is good - It is probably the best/cleanest debut of any MMO I've tried. Starting area graphics are ok, not great, but good. Space graphics are really nice. To play on high quality you do need a fairly good video card but most recent cards should do an adequate job. Not much different in resource requirements for reasonable game play than WoW.

Quests - The quests are varied and I've found them interesting. I like the voice actor conversations for starting/completing the quests. If you don't enjoy a game with a good story line you probably won't like/appreciate SWTOR. I'm finding it refreshing. The early quests are very easy, they do get more challenging as you go along. The group quests can be quite challenging. But aren't too bad if you have a good mix.

PvP - PvP is fun, you don't get into world PvP until later in the game so all I've done is the instances. There are a few issues with PvP but I'll withhold judgement until I do some world PvP and max level PvP. Overall I've enjoyed the PvP instances.

Crafting - Seems to be less tedious than in WoW. (You can send your companion off to gather/craft while you do other things. Everyone gets a companion(s) at about level 8 or 10, can't remember off hand.)

Community - Seems equivalent to WoW typical mix of jerks, nice people, and kids. I really need to figure out how to turn off General Chat ;-)

Interface - The interface is very nice and key binds are easy to set up. The game does not currently support mods but will at some future date. So far I haven't really needed any mods. There are a few I wouldn't mind having but nothing critical.

Stability - I haven't had a single lockup or seen a server crash during game play. There have been a few quest/display glitches, but they are fixing them very very quickly.

Cons: Even though there are a lot of servers there are queues if you try to log on too late in the day. I've seen wait queues of over an hour for Dark Reaper and this is still just the pre-release crowd. Full release isn't until the 20th.

It is obvious they have taken a lot of the lessons learned from WoW and incorporated them into the game.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Yrag

“Give light, and the darkness will disappear of itself.” Erasmus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:24 pm 

I'm playing SWTOR as well but on Hyperspace Cannon. This server also suffers from a fairly long queue. I remember WoW was the same way when it came out so I know it will get better. One annoying thing about this server is that some guy from SC2 is on it "Husky" so it's jam packed with "Husketeer" followers.. Other than the queues the game is awesome. It is still missing some of the basic things like a looking for group and looking for guild channel but the gameplay is flawless, and you can do space battles as well which are fun and you earn a ton of XP.

The best thing about an MMO: The other players.
The worst thing about an MMO: The other players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:27 pm 

I picked up SWTOR last week, loving it. Can't remember what server I'm on atm, starts with an "N", east coast PVE. I'm playing a jedi consular sage right now and having a blast. Combo DPS and healing. Companions make levelling as a healing spec way easier. Haven't done any PVP yet but I've heard it's pretty cool as you get scaled up to an equivalent max level toon at lower levels, just dont have access to all of the skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:25 pm 

I'm finding that taking one toon through all of the quests and my other toons though just the class specific quests is very satisfying.

I PvP a lot and find it very enjoyable. Plus how can you not love the opening for "Hutball" and don't forget not to kick the ball, Hut don't have feet :D

I'm playing much more casual now so it will take me a long long time to get any of my characters to max level, but that is fine by me. I'm really enjoying all aspects of this game.

P.S. I'm on the Dark Reaper PvP server and when I play my Empire characters it is a good thing I like Hutball since there is about a 5:1 Empire to Republic ratio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:36 pm 

I switched over to server Master Zhar Lestin PVE because some of my friends are on that server and the queue times aren't as bad as the other one. Jas also said she and Given were going to start playing soon :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:03 pm 

cool, you playing imp side or republic over there therm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:44 pm 

mostly playing Imperial side. The toon i am usually on is named Samarie, feel free to look me up and i'll toss you a guild invite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:50 pm 

cool, got my sage to 30 last night, but the guild i'm in is pretty meh. wanted to start another toon anyway (you know me). i'll try to catch you on that server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:45 am 

Muircar wrote:
cool, got my sage to 30 last night, but the guild i'm in is pretty meh. wanted to start another toon anyway (you know me). i'll try to catch you on that server.

if im not on that toon just search for "fallen" i'm sure someone will be on that can invite you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:17 am 

the in game whisper system sucks because there is no sound associated with it so i miss a lot of chats..so keep trying or send me an in game mail with your toons name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:13 pm 

started an inquisitor named nachturne over there, wanted to try the assassin advanced class. feels weird playing such a dark class after playing alliance forever lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:40 pm 

Cool i'll keep an eye out for you. I haven't played a Jedi side char so I'm not sure what the difference is so far.. On my Bounty Hunter i've been choosing "light side" options when questing.. as far as i can tell it only affects the armor/color crystals you can use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:09 pm 

Dark and Light choices can also affect affection. On my Sith Inquisitor I mostly make light choices. My female Jedi companion (that I'm converting to dark side ;)) likes mostly light/compassionate choices. Khem Val my monster companion tends to lean a bit dark and likes darker/arrogant choices.

The differences aren't huge but if I make a mistak I just ESC out of the dialogue and do it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:58 pm 

yeah, i decided to switch it up and go light side with my new IA sniper, with attitude. the smartass responses keep my first companion, kaliyo, happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:32 pm 

sorry i haven't played much this weekend Muir.. weekends are usually not a good time to game for me.